Saturday 5 April 2014

Nearer and Nearer Draws the Time

Only two runs this week - but seeing as my long run on Monday was 18.2 miles, I am happy enough with that.  The cheque from the Brass Band evening has gone off, and together with other donations received, the total so far stands at £3,492.50.  With two fundraising events still to come and several sponsor forms still in circulation, I think it's now reasonable to think in terms of eventually reaching £5,000 - double my original target, and a totally amazing outcome.

So, Monday.  I decided that rather than run on the Southwell Trail again, I would use my gym as a base instead.  This would save me the 10-minute drive either way (or rather, replace it with a 6-minute walk), which I felt has contributed to post-run stiffness.  The gym gives me a locker to store water and supplies, and access to a toilet (important on a 4.5 hour run!), while avoiding the temptation to bail out early if I came back home to refuel.  The downside of the gym compared to the trail is that the terrain is not as flat, so I did rather more ascent than I would have done.  With that in mind, I am quite content that I only just got over the 18 mile mark, rather than getting close to 20.  It took me 4 hours and 40 minutes, and the last half an hour was quite hard.  I used the walk/run timer on my watch to prompt the switch of pace, and I was definitely more reluctant to break into a run over the last couple of miles.  But the important thing is - I did it.

On getting home I did a good session of stretching and used the foam roller, then had a warm bath.  Whether it was the walk home, the bath, the foam roller or something else, I can't be sure, but I was significantly less stiff following this run than the 17 miler two weeks ago.

I took a full day's rest on Tuesday then crosstrained on Wednesday.  I intended to run again on Thursday, but was unwell during the night, so took another day's rest instead.  My second run of the week, yesterday, was only 4.5 miles - but it was very enjoyable, and at this stage, it is enough.

A week from now, I will be in my hotel in London, digesting my pasta meal, preparing my kit, and hoping for a decent night's sleep.  I am warned that nerves may well interfere with sleep - but I should at least rest.  Between then and now, I have a very busy week - isn't that always the way? I plan to run on Monday - about 5-6 miles, crosstrain on Wednesday and have my last pre-marathon run on Thursday. 3-4 miles on Thursday will be plenty.  The hard work - well, most of it - is done, and all that is left is to do what I have been preparing for.

I intend to enjoy myself!  I am watching the weather forecast like a hawk (I want it dry, but not too warm).  I am rehearsing my mental strategies and motivational self-talk.  I am reminding myself, whatever I do, NOT to go off quickly, and to take my walk breaks right from the very start.  And I am remembering all the people who have supported and encouraged me... the ones who have donated.... and the ones who have suffered/are suffering from cancer.

We are almost there, folks.  On the day, you can follow my progress by going to the Marathon website www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com  and clicking on the Runner Tracker link which will appear on the day itself.  Then search for my name or race number (35972) and you will see the time that I cross the start line, and every 5K, until I reach the end.  Keep on watching, and say a prayer (or two) for me, to help me get to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment