Saturday 29 March 2014

Girding My Loins

Three runs this week as intended, although the total was pretty low at a measly 11 miles.  The fundraising total now stands at a stupendous £2,970.50, although in fact there is £375 to add to that which was raised at a Brass Band evening at one of my churches last Saturday - I just haven't got the cheque in my hand yet!

I did a very pleasant 5.5 miles on Monday morning, and afterwards removed the tape from my leg.  It really has done a good job of keeping my knee comfortable and enabling me to run.  I noticed that the skin which had been underneath the tape was a bit dry and slightly red, perhaps not surprising as it had been covered for almost two weeks. I decided to let it breathe for a couple of days and then go back to the physio later in the week for some more.  However, when I contacted him, he said he had run out of tape and was expecting a delivery on Thursday.

I cross-trained on Wednesday (beat my time for 5K on the rower by almost a minute), but when I phoned on Thursday, discovered that he still didn't have any tape.  I started to become a bit anxious about my long run on Monday - I thought I would be OK to run short distances without tape, but not at all confident about the 18-20 miles I want to do as my last long run.  On Friday morning, I went to the gym and did some work on the bike, then decided to risk a little run on the treadmill.  This went fine, but I limited it to 30 minutes.  Then later in the day we went into Nottingham and I bought my own tape from a running shop, and applied it last night in the way I had seen the physio do twice.  It's probably not quite as good as having it done by a professional, but I did feel a difference with it on, and went round parkrun very comfortably this morning.

So, to mental strategies.  I have prepared myself a Mile Guide to the London Marathon route - a short phrase or two for each mile, telling me what to expect.  The idea is that I can memorise it (I am most of the way there with that) and I will know what is ahead.  On the day, though, I need to concentrate on running the mile I'm in, and not worry about the ones left to run, or how many have gone before.  And from the various books and articles I've read, and from my experience of training, I have a list of strategies to help me.

Some of it is about positive mental attitude - people who approach an experience with confidence and expecting good things usually do better and enjoy the experience more, than those who approach it with negative expectations.  I know running a marathon is tough - but if I dwell on it being tough, it is likely to seem tougher than it needs to.  So, I am practising positive things to tell myself about it.  Things like:  I can do this, I'm strong, I'm fit, I can keep on going.  And I want to do more than finish - I want to enjoy the experience.  So I'm going to be telling myself that this is good, that everyone is there to support me, that I'm having fun, that I'm proud of myself... and then again, that I can do this, I can keep going.

When it gets tough - and it will - I shall tell myself that I've come this far, I can push through, I can keep on going, I can get to the finish, I'm strong, I'm fit, I'm determined.  There are those Bible verses I mentioned months ago, especially - I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.  So many people have told me they are praying for me, and I am sure that will make a difference.

But before that day, there is one last hurdle to jump - and that's my last long run on Monday.  I want to get past the 18 mile mark, and if I manage the same pace overall as the 17 mile run, that will take me to 4:23.  I would ideally like to get to 20 miles, but I need to set a cut-off time, and I think that needs to be 4:30.  So, we'll see how we go.  I need to remember that my absolute top priority is to stay well enough to run, so if I get any significant pain, or niggles that don't ease off when I slow down, I will cut the run short.  I haven't come this far to get injured again two weeks before the day!

Time is short.  Someone asked me this morning whether I was feeling excited, nervous, or terrified - and the answer, of course, is all three.  On Monday morning, I need to go out and sort of forget that I am aiming to run close to 20 miles, and just stay in the moment.  I can rehearse my Mile Guide to London, I can practise my positive statements - and I can think about all the kind, wonderful and generous people who have accompanied me on the journey so far.  Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment