Friday 11 April 2014

Final Preparations

We will be off to London very soon.  Every item of kit I'll be wearing on Sunday has been thought about and chosen with care.  My route from the hotel to the start is planned and timings worked out. I just need to put things in my case, ring for a taxi, and then we'll be off.

At the moment, I have butterflies in my stomach and a sense of nervous distraction.  I am hoping that in the next 48 hours an air of calm will descend - because I have really done all that I can do.  The training is done.  It is enough to get me round in one piece, as long as I am sensible in my pacing.  I have practised that in my two runs this week - holding myself back at the start.  I want my average pace to be no quicker than 14 minutes per mile, and certainly no individual mile faster than 13:30.

In a way, I am now on a conveyor belt that is moving its way slowly and inexorably towards the start line.  I have made all the decisions that are to be made, now I just move on with the consequences.  It reminds me a little of the events of Holy Week, starting with Palm Sunday - this Sunday. Once Jesus had entered Jerusalem, a train of events had started which were going to end with his arrest and death.  He had opportunities to run away, right up to his arrest - but he didn't take them, because he knew what he had to do.

I can pull out, any point between now and Sunday morning, or indeed during the race itself.  But I'm not going to.  A few people, when talking to me, have emphasised how hard it is, how painful.  Now, I don't like pain!! I would rather avoid it if I could.  But if I can't, then I will go through it - that's all there is to it.  I have made my mind up - I have set my face towards London.

I continue to be amazed at the support and encouragement I've received, and also the donations from far and wide.  I am losing track now, but so far the fund has reached over £3,900.  When I set my target as £2,500, I thought how cool it would be if I actually reached £2,620 as that would be £100 for every mile I run.  I'm wondering now if I could actually double that.  And it's not me- it's everyone else, being so generous, and also telling their friends and families and posting it on their facebook and twitter.  Some donations have come from people I have never met, and it's amazing.... this thing has taken on a life of its own.  I am a passenger.

So, my part now is just to get out there on Sunday and do it.  And I will :)  If you are following my progress via the marathon website, you will be able to see when I cross the start line, and get an update every 5K.  As a ball park figure, each 5K should be taking me a bit less than 45 minutes - at least to start with.  Chances are I will slow down later in the race.  I could go faster at the beginning, but that would be a bad idea!

So, it's almost here.  I have a few things to get together, my bag to pack, and then we'll be off.  See you at the finish!

1 comment:

  1. Hope butterflies calm down and you enjoy the challenge tomorrow . you are doing so well we will be following you and all the others that have put theirselves forward for all those less fortunate in health

    ReplyDelete