Saturday 22 March 2014

Positive Signs

Only two runs this week - but they were both fairly long, and added up to 25.8 miles.  Having now received a cheque for £200 from my friend's fundraising event a few weeks ago (thanks, Helen) and with other donations in hand, the total now is a tremendous £2,817.50.

So, to the running.  I decided to switch my first run of the week from Monday to Tuesday, so did some crosstraining on Monday instead.  On Tuesday my target was to run for up to 2 hours, and in order to give myself the best chance of doing this, I wanted a flat route.  I also wanted to never be too far from home, as if the knee became a problem I would need to walk home.  So I did most of the run on a flattish circular section of Boundary Wood.  My knee grumbled a bit on the way to and from the wood, as I went up and down the hills, but it was absolutely fine on the flat bits.  I did just over 2 hours, covering 8.8 miles.

Later that day I went to see the physio.  Only after I told him about my runs did he divulge that, on the previous week, he was expecting things to go one of two ways: either a steady recovery, or a rapid decline! Running would reveal whether the injury was minor, and able to heal without surgery, or.... not.  Happily, the 2-hour run indicates it is the former.  He gave me some more ultrasound treatment, renewed the taping, and sent me away.

Yesterday I set out for a long run, with the aim of exceeding 4 hours, if possible.  I did this on the Southwell Trail - firm and flat!  I completed 17 miles, in 4:08.  That, in particular, was a massive confidence booster. It was only in the last half an hour or so I began to feel tired.  By the end, I was glad to stop, and later in the day I was, not surprisingly, stiff.  Today, however, there is only minor stiffness, and my knee is fine.  This is a very good sign!

In the coming week I plan on three moderate-length runs, plus some crosstraining, in preparation for my final long run, which will be two weeks before the marathon.  I do not need to do the full 3-week training taper which is usually advised, because I have not been doing the amount of mileage I had originally planned, nor any speed work.  I will gain more from doing one last long run - hopefully this time exceeding 18 miles.

I will also be doing plenty of mental preparation in the coming week - but more about that next time.  The day is drawing near!

No comments:

Post a Comment