Friday 1 November 2013

Cross Training

Executive summary:  over the past not-quite two weeks, I have been running 5 times, and covered a total of 22 miles.  That's less than I did in one week previously.  However, this is not a concern, for two reasons.  Firstly, as mentioned previously, periods of effort need to be interspersed with periods of rest or lower amounts of effort.  And secondly, I have been doing a lot of cross-training.

Cross-training is any sort of physical activity other than the main thing you are training for. So in my case, cross-training is any exercise other than running.  Every time I go to the gym and lift weights, do planks or squats, I am cross-training.  But over the past week or so I have been cross-training in the Lake District.

We have spent a week at a B&B in Keswick, and each day apart from one, we went for a walk.  Our shortest walk was 5 miles (and 2 hours), the longest 8.5 miles (and 5 hours).  Now, the Lake District has 2 key characteristics:  it is hilly, and it is wet.  Hilly: our walk up Grizedale Pike involved about 750m of ascent.  Wet: we have the gear, but on 2 occasions, everything got wet.  And I do mean everything :)  But as some of my running friends remind me - skin is waterproof, and after a hot shower and some restorative cake, we were none the worse for our experiences.

Hill walking is helpful for several reasons.  It is endurance training, but the hills are also good for leg strength, and the uneven terrain challenges your stability and balance.  And if it challenges you, it strengthens you.  Plus, of course, there are fantastic views - at least when the cloud clears :)

This morning, I went out for a gentle 5 miles, gearing up for a return to full-on training next week.  I ran a total of 80 miles during October, and am targeting 100 miles during November.  I will be pushing up the duration of my longest run - going by time, now, rather than distance - but I should still be running over 10 miles several times during the month.  I'm also going to start introducing a bit of faster running - more about that next time.

And the fundraising.... well a friend has said she is going to hold an At Home in the Spring, and divide the proceeds between my efforts and Framework, a charity working with homeless people in Nottinghamshire.  I've also had an offer to publicise my challenge at events at a church in our circuit.  But in terms of actual donations.... no change since last time.  Anyone fancy getting me over that £500 barrier with a £4 donation?

Have a good week, everyone.  I'll be back next weekend, hopefully with another 25 miles or so under my belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment