Saturday 5 October 2013

October Buildup Week 1

Here is a phrase you may just get tired of - this week I did my longest run so far, and my highest total mileage.  Monday's long run was 8.1 miles, and my total for the week was 21.5 miles.

I did my four runs out of doors, as usual, plus a bit of extra running on the treadmill at the gym.  There are several reasons why I might run on the treadmill:  if I need just an extra mile or two to hit a weekly target; to do a speed intervals session; in the depths of winter, if running outside is impossible; and my reason for doing it this week - some sort of test.

I mentioned in my first blog that I'm using a heart rate monitor to control my level of effort - to make sure that my "easy" runs really are easy.  In theory, as I get fitter I should be able to run faster for the same level of effort.  A month ago I did a test on the treadmill, to find out what speed I could run at while staying just under a particular heart rate - 70% of my working range (140 beats per minute) and 75% (146 beats per minute).  I repeated the test yesterday, and am happy to report that in both cases I can go about 5% faster at the same heart rate.

The lower my heart rate at any given speed, the longer I will be able to maintain that speed for.  And 26.2 miles is a very long way!!  There is a lot of training still to do, but all evidence of progress is welcome. Here's another piece - this morning's run was 4.3 miles, and that doesn't seem a long way to me any more.

The fundraising has also got off to a flying start, with close to £300 raised already.  With 27 weeks to go to the marathon, things are looking good.  Thanks for reading, and thanks for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment